6/10/08

This Weekend: 150th Schuylkill Navy Regatta

If you're like me, then you may be looking for a way to cool off in the city this weekend. Venture over to Boathouse Row on Kelly Drive for the 150th Schuylkill Navy Regatta held on Saturday, June 14.


Lucky for me, I don't have to be a coxswain to enjoy the excitement as rowers glide swiftly and gracefully down the Schuylkill River. Before long, I am cheering them on and wondering why I don't get my own boat.

While there are other regattas planned for this summer, I find this particular competition interesting since it is open to all amateur oarsmen including novice, intermediate and senior skill levels. There are 48 races in total featuring womens, mens, and co-ed races with one, two, and four rowers to a boat. Races range from 1000-2000 meters in length.

The first heat begins at 9am with finals likely to start before noon. Since Kelly Drive typically closes down for regattas, I recommend you bike, rollerblade, or walk over. Parking can be found in Fairmount Park, as close as you can get to Kelly Drive.

If the regatta is enough to inspire you to row, you can read more about how you can kayak on the Schuylkill River.

1 comment:

Jon R said...

Every time I see rowers on the Schuylkill, I think about how much I would enjoy trying it. It's cool to hear that even beginners can compete.