5/21/08

Sushi, Sashimi, and Saki, Umai!

Umai Umai (pronounced oo-my oo-my) is one of the best-kept secrets in the neighborhood. Sushi secrets, that is. With its modest location on the corner of N. 22nd and Green, Umai Umai (meaning: savory taste sensation) is easy to pass by without knowing how savory it really is.

Since it's BYOS, I'm always sure to bring my own saki or wine, and due to the small space, reservations are recommended. Upon arrival, I am greeted by an inviting staff and seated in a dining room that exudes warmth with its hues of red and black. Simply decorated with bamboo shades and paper lanterns, the atmosphere is ideal for sharing a romantic evening or a night out with friends.

While the menu has a complete listing of contemporary Asian cuisine, including sesame chicken, kobe beef carpaccio and shrimp pad thai, I find the best bet is leaving the choice up to the chef. Chef Alexander McCoy, formerly of Teikoku on the Main Line, always delights and surprises with the Chef's Special. McCoy creates an ever-changing arrangement with the freshest cuts of bluefin tuna, yellowtail, freshwater eel, mantis shrimp, and scallops paired with lime.

No matter how much sushi I devour, I can rest assured that there is always room for dessert at Umai Umai. My favorite is the banana spring roll, sautéed in cinnamon and nutmeg, fried and served warm on a red bean sauce with vanilla ice cream. When looking for a more traditional taste, I sample the crème brulee, baked to perfection, and served with a caramelized sugar crust and topped with a sweet Japanese mountain berry.

Umai, indeed!

Get Directions
Visit Umai Umai's website

2 comments:

ladderbuddy said...

Where do you get all the time to look at art, shop and eat out??

Susan said...

As a former project manager, I have excellent time management skills. :)