5/28/08

Thursdays at Fairmount Farmers Market

Nothing scares me more than a crowded grocery store in the summer, which is why the Fairmount Farmers Market makes a nice alternative. Every Thursday from 3-7 pm, there are a half dozen blue and green tents nestled alongside Eastern State Penitentiary on 22nd and Fairmount Ave.

Although small, the Fairmount Farmers Market has plenty to offer, including fruits and vegetables, honey, dairy products, baked goods and more. The assortment of goodies changes weekly, but I recommend keeping an eye out for the fresh berries -- luscious strawberries, tart raspberries and blackberries the size of a quarter. At the market, I found all the makings for pie, and better yet, a fresh baked pie for instant enjoyment.

If it's too hot to bake, I peruse the market for veggies to throw on the grill. Sweet corn, juicy beefsteak tomatoes, and spicy bell peppers can easily turn a barbeque into a sumptuous feast! And when I want to brighten up the house, I can choose from a myriad of roses, gerbera daisies, lilies and other flowers.

All in all, the Fairmount Farmers Market has a large selection of food to choose from and gives me another excuse to enjoy the beautiful weather.

Interested in finding more farmers markets? Check out the Citypaper's listing of markets and find one available almost any day of the week.

Get Directions

No comments: